As a volunteer, you can learn about bird-building collisions firsthand, and help us find out how this problem manifests in our city. It is a chance to make a significant impact for birds, without volunteers we could not carry out our research effectively. If you decide to volunteer, you can view your weekly contributions on our website and how your part contributes to the whole.
What does volunteering entail?
We hope to make participating in this project as convenient as possible for our volunteers. You can help by:
- Monitoring a predefined route
- Monitoring a route that you create
- Transporting injured birds to the Humane Animal Rescue Wildlife Center in Verona, PA.
Other opportunities helping in the Section of Birds at the museum include:
- Sort BirdSafe Pittsburgh data
- Accession BirdSafe Pittsburgh birds into the collection
- Photographing BirdSafe Pittsburgh specimen
The first step is letting us know that you’re interested, and when you are available, by filling out our contact form. If you aren’t sure which option is best for you, we’re happy to help guide you. Once we hear from you, we’ll send you more specific information about our monitoring protocols, route creation, and more.